Eco Home Architects
Paul McAlister Architects have designed many Eco Homes throughout Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. An Eco house uses the same principles as Passive House and is built in such a way that it reduces energy consumption and CO2 emissions to the environment. An Eco house creates a healthier indoor environment for the occupants and has a less negative impact on the environment.
Sustainable Architects in Practice
Paul McAlister Architects have been practising for over 15 years; forging a reputation at the forefront of sustainable design as Sustainable Architects and Eco Home Architects. The Practice’s primary focus is on the delivery of high quality, environmentally responsible architecture, merging sophisticated design and sustainable solutions that respond to our client’s unique needs and their environment. We give Economic, Social and Environmental Sustainability the precedence it deserves; prioritising ultra-low energy design supported by the integration of sustainable technologies in each and every project we deliver. We believe that sustainable buildings come from close collaboration between dedicated professionals and enthusiastic clients.
Certified Passive House Architects in Ireland
We are Northern Ireland's first Certified Passive House Designers, which is the world-leading energy efficiency standard and a benchmark of our sustainable credentials. This expertise means we can create environmentally sustainable architecture projects that have exceptional energy efficiency performance.
We recognise the importance of sustainable standards such as BREEAM, Passivhaus and NZEB as a benchmark of buildings environmental performance and the production of eco-home buildings. As Certified Passive House Designers we promote the ‘Fabric first’ reduction of CO2, as a priority and requirement of our sustainable credentials. We understand that CO2 production loses during the lifetime of a building is a major environmental factor.
Along with the CO2 reduction, the building materials specified, their ecological credentials, and the embodied energy of their production and manufacture, needs to be balanced with the long terms economic sustainability of projects.
We design to the BREEAM and Code for Sustainable Homes and will incorporate these additional sustainable standards into our designs; with the aim of minimising the impact that our schemes have on the environment; both in their construction and operation. Ultra-low energy design can become the catalyst for innovative architecture.
Stroma Certified (OCDEA) – Certified Energy Assessor for calculating Energy Performance of dwellings.
Passivhaus Institute - Certified European Passive House Designer (CEPH).
Policies and Certificates
BS EN ISO 14001:2004 - an environmental management system allowing the implementation of an environmental policy about aspects which it can control and influence.
- RSUA Awards Sustainability Category 2016, Crest Pavilion - Category winner
- RICS Innovation Category awards 2015, Crest Pavilion - Highly Commended
- Action Renewables Awards 2015 - Crest Pavilion - The most Environmentally Sustainable Construction Project
- Sustainable Ireland Awards 2014 - Crest Pavilion - Sustainable building project of the year
- Passive House Trust Awards 2014 - Cost & Build-ability - Finalists
- Green Apple Awards for the Built Environment & Architectural Heritage 2014
- Best Green Business. Craigavon Business Awards 2012 - Silver Award
- Action Renewables Association Awards 2012 - Most Innovative Construction Project
- Best Green Business. Craigavon Business Awards 2010 - Gold Award
- Northern Ireland Sustainable Planning Awards 2009 - Finalists